Saturday, January 14, 2012

Día 6 - sábado, el 14 de enero

Today was another great day!  It was SO nice to get a good night’s sleep in the hotel and to take a hot shower!  I feel clean again.

Supper last night was really, really good.  It was paid for (included in the price of our trip) and we could order an appetizer, entree, and dessert.  It was all really good, especially the banana split I had for dessert!  (Big surprise that I ordered ice cream.)

This morning we had breakfast in the hotel restaurant again.  The usual - a buffet with fresh fruit, fried plantains, gallo pinto (beans & rice), eggs, but also pancakes & toast, cereal, etc.  I was especially excited about the peanut butter toast!  While we were eating breakfast an agouti (a raccoon-like animal) came wandering up onto the deck and got really close to us.  I’m sure he was looking for food.



Then we departed to go zip-lining at the “Sky Trek” adventure company.  It was awesome!  First of all, our guides were great.  Three young Costa Rican guys who were  really good at what they do and who know how to have fun.  (And they might know how to flirt with some “Gringa” girls, too.  But nothing inappropriate, of course.)  There were 7 cables that we went on.  The longest was half a mile in length, and the tallest was 600 meters from the ground.  What a rush!  On the longest cable, you could get going up to 50 mph.  It was very, very fun.  We had some rain showers, which wasn’t ideal, but we are in a rain forest, after all.










After that we drove to La Fortuna and had lunch.  My dad, Dudley and I ate at a very good restaurant (I had the best grilled chicken sandwich I’ve had in a very long time), and Dudley picked up the bill for us, which was very nice of him.  Thanks, Dudley!

After that we went to the Danaus Eco-center, which is a nature reserve that has some very interesting wildlife.  We saw two sloths, some interesting birds, some large iguanas, and lots of beautiful flowers.  It amazes me how Jimmy is able to spot wildlife!

From there, we went to the “Eco-termales” hot springs.  What a relaxing treat!  It was great to just hang out in the warm waters (and then to go to some hot waters, then some cooler waters, and back to the warm again).  It was also great to get to chat with everyone.  One thing that has been great about this trip is how well everyone is getting along and how respectful everyone is of each other.  They’re really having a lot of fun together.  It was raining on & off during the hot springs, and very overcast.  This was probably the best weather we could have had for this, because if it was hot & sunny it would have been way too hot to be in the the warm waters.




Then we came back to the hotel.  I took a nice, long, hot shower and now I’m in the lobby, catching up on my emails and blog.  I miss Josh & Lucas & Leah, but it’s great to know that they are in such good hands at home!

One thing that is driving me nuts is how I can’t seem to be able to add pictures to my blog!  I can get them onto the page where I edit it exactly the way I want it to look, but then when I go to publish it, it just spins & spins and tells me it’s lost the script or something.  So, to those of you who are reading this (I’m sure it’s a huge number) :) I’m very sorry I haven’t added any of the great pictures I’ve taken to go along with the text.  Hopefully I’ll manage to do that soon.  (A few days later - Hooray!  I finally figured out what I was doing wrong.  Go back & check out all the pics from the last few days!)

Soon we’ll head to the restaurant for another delicious supper.  Tomorrow we’re going to Manuel Antonio, which is on the Pacific side of the country.  This means that we should be able to have some dryer weather.  (The Caribbean side gets all of the winds and humidity from the Caribbean, but by the time this air crosses the mountains all of the moisture has either fallen as rain or evaporated.) 

Until tomorrow, when I’ll be posting again . . . ¡Pura vida!

No comments:

Post a Comment